Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Turbulence Playlist

I seem to do a lot of flying.  Flying used to not bother me at all, but as I get older the nervousness about it seems to be setting in a bit.  Maybe it's because I think the more I fly the more likely it is that something could possibly go wrong?  

I hate turbulence.  I have heard many times that turbulence doesn't really bother the aircraft and I shouldn't worry, but I do!  I hate it!  I squeeze my fingernails into my palms when it gets really bad just to have something else to think about.

Over time I have come up with a turbulence playlist to keep on my phone for just such occasions.  I try to keep the tracks very soothing and calming, nothing that would get my heart racing at all because chances are it's doing that already.  

It's a constant work-in-progress, but here it is as it stands now:

Flower - Aaron Comess
La Cienga Just Smiled - Ryan Adams
As You Fall - Bent
I'm On Fire - Bruce Springsteen
Wild Swans Suite - Eliza's Aria
Satellite - BT
The Bringdown - Bob Schneider
Lippy Kids - Elbow
Wonderwall (cover) - Ryan Adams
Silvia - Miike Snow
Bone Tired - Gomez
No One's Gonna Love You - Band of Horses

Even though turbulence kinda freaks me out, I actually really enjoy the rest of the flight.  It's truly amazing that we get to live in a time where it's so easy to fly, to see the world from above.  Think of all our ancestors and how they dreamed of flying with the birds, we get to see it.  We get to see the oversized geometric patterns made in crops and fields, mountain ranges for miles, the entire Grand Canyon.  Fly through clouds, rainy drizzle below and sunshine above, mountains and caves made of vapor.  A sunset that lasts forever because you are chasing it westward.  Fly up the length of Manhattan at night, all lit up, from the Statue of Liberty to Times Square to Central Park.  

The first time we flew home to Dallas from London, we flew right over the coast of Newfoundland where it meets the Labrador Sea.  I remember thinking that my feet will never touch those icy little islands, but how lucky that I still get to see it.  So I guess it's worth the turbulence.  As long as it doesn't get too bad.  :)

Coast of Newfoundland:



No comments:

Post a Comment