Thursday, January 17, 2013

Throwback Thursday - First Day in London

This morning I was thinking about our lives these past couple of years and realized that today, two years ago, we landed in London.  I remembered sending this email to friends and family, it was before I had really started this blog so it wasn't an entry.  But it should have been the first one!  So for a Throwback Thursday entry, I'm reposting it here just for posterity's sake.  This was written under some pretty serious jet lag...

Hello! Stephen and I made it here just fine on Monday, we had a good flight this time - no unplanned stop in NYC in the middle of Ambien! A car picked us up and drove us straight to out new/temporary home so we didn't have to mess with our luggage too much (all 6 bags of it, plus carry-ons).


When we arrived, we checked into our new home. We got upgraded to a 2 bedroom! The second bedroom is tiny, just a twin bed, but we put all of our luggage in there so we aren't constantly tripping over it. Besides the 2 bedrooms, there is a living room/dining room (seats 4), and off the hallway leading to the master is a small kitchen and a bathroom. It's furnished of course and even had some groceries stocked for our arrival! For those of you who know London (or if you're just curious) our address is 9 Eastcheap in The City, close to the Thames River and the London Bridge.

After checking in yesterday, we went downstairs for lunch and right next door is a Pret a Manger (freshly made sandwiches, salads, etc.). I have a feeling I'll be eating there a lot because I went back for lunch again today.  We walked around for a long while - partially across the Tower Bridge, alongside the Thames, across the river to the Tate Modern museum, went in there for a while and saw a giant installation of millions of ceramic sunflower seeds (apparently they represented the "human condition", seriously what the sign said). Modern art is hard to take in while sleep-deprived, so we left there and continued walking, crossed back over the river, found a pub called the Black Friar, had a pint, walked some more and found a restaurant called Wagamama to eat dinner at, thanks to my friend Kym's suggestion.  Walked home after that. My goal was to stay awake until at least 9:00 p.m. to try and get on the new clock. I think we were awake until maybe 9:45, but I took a sleeping pill and didn't stir until 8:30 this morning.

Today was Stephen's first official day at work in his new office! I went for a run this morning along the Thames - I feel like I've been eating and drinking vacation-style for a while now, so it's time to undo all that! It's actually a really pretty day today, sunny and in the 40s.  After I finish this email I'm going to find a tailor (some of Stephen's suits are missing buttons) and run to a drugstore - excuse me, "chemist" - and pick up a few things. Then maybe walk around some more and do a bit more exploring!

So far I have noticed that pretty much all London women wear the exact same outfit. It goes something like this: black opaque hose or leggings (this is a must) under either a short skirt, dress, tunic, or something of the like, with flat riding boots and a scarf draped around the neck.  All of the women.  I have items that match these descriptions, but not enough for constant wear! Plus half of my clothes are in a crate on a ship somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean.

That will be a riot, when the rest of our belongings arrive. Even after all of the cutting down we did, I'm sure we won't have nearly enough room for it all when it finally gets here. We saw the international Salvation Army headquarters last night in this fancy, post-modern building, Stephen joked that we should show up on their doorstep with all of our excess belongings and ask for a donation receipt.


This week I'm going to start the process of finding a place to live. There's a lot of great flats out there, I'm excited to look around!


We have free wireless in our flat, the best way to reach me right now is to email or Facebook me. I have international service on my phone, but it's still pretty expensive. If you have texted me I probably haven't texted you back, those are limited, too.

We are doing well and I'll update you again soon! Miss you all!

Love,

Megan

Me at the Tower of London our first week or two there:

No comments:

Post a Comment