Monday, January 14, 2013

New Year, New Blog(ger)

I'm back!  



It's winter here in NYC, although right now it is an "unseasonably warm" 55°F outside!  It is supposed to turn colder tonight and possibly sleet by Wednesday, joy.  With the current warm air came some thick fog over the past 24 hours, we took Grady for a walk last night along the Hudson and it looked like this:


I am already counting the days until summer, or at least daylight savings time.  I am craving sunshine!!  DST, if you're interested, doesn't start until March 10 so we have a while.  It's not the cold, in fact it really hasn't been that cold here (yet) this winter and I always get hot walking wherever I go, but the lack of sunlight and the early sunsets are starting to get to me.  I used to think that I was not one of those people who are effected by the darker days of the winter months, but I realized that this is not true and really I was just living in the sunny state of Texas and didn't have to put up with dreariness as much.  So come on March 10!

I am looking forward to 2013.  We re-signed our lease for our current apartment (hooray for not moving yet again!) and I am feeling pretty settled now in NYC.  I didn't realize it at the time, but throughout last year I think I was wondering in the back of my mind if were were going to move again at the beginning of the coming year, just because that's what we've done for the past two years and it started to feel like a habit.  I didn't truly appreciate the permanence of my new home until we re-signed our lease and I felt completely relieved.  I feel like my "real life" really started to click in the last quarter or so of last year and I am glad to keep it going!  

I don't much like making new year's resolutions because it just seems like you are setting yourself up for failure, but here are things I am looking forward to doing in 2013:

- running a 1/2 marathon.  I have no desire to train to run a marathon (getting up at 4:00 a.m. to eat and then run 20 miles?  No thanks.)  But I think a 1/2 marathon is a great distance to keep it fun and not devote my entire life to it.  I can do about 6 miles right now pretty easily so I'm on my way!

- taking a photography class.  One of my most favorite things of all the traveling we did in Europe was coming home and looking back over and editing my photos.  Taking pictures has been a completely unexpected joy.  I'm not saying I'm going to become a photographer or anything like that, but... I hate buying souvenirs, I hate collecting things (plus I have nowhere to put anything), I really want to remember what this time in my life looks like and the times to come, and I love capturing things as I see them.  And, I don't know, I have a lot of fun doing it and it always makes me see the world a little differently.  

- plan a trip.  My travel bug is demanding to be heard!  I have always loved to travel and living in Europe just made that go into overdrive and last year we didn't really have a big trip.  Of course I would love to get back to Europe but we'll see... and there is SO MUCH regionally around us that I want to visit!  The Adirondacks, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, the Hamptons, Maine, Vermont... all kinds of places to go!

But in the meantime, I am going to be blogging!  After all I live in a travel destination and I need to be better about documenting things so I can remember it years down the road!

I will end with my favorite thing in my life right now, my 5-mo-old niece, Merci.  Y'all, she is the cutest thing ever.  Here are a few pictures from Christmas, and one video of her verbal prowess on display.  








No comments:

Post a Comment