Thursday, August 4, 2011

I shouldn't be allowed to call this a blog...

...because I've done a lackluster job so far! I haven't had a real blog in months! I'm going to try to make up for it. I haven't posted since our trip to Barcelona. In April! For shame.

**March - visitors and trip to Stonehenge/Bath/Oxford**


We had our first visitors, our friends LK and Chris, come in from Dallas. They stayed with us for a couple nights and then headed out on a trip around England and Scotland. While they were here we took a long day trip to Stonehenge, Bath, and Oxford. Stonehenge is pretty neat to see as you top the hill driving in - there's this ancient thing sitting there in a wide green swath of countryside grass, surrounded by fields and sheep. Pretty cool. But then we parked and paid to walk closer to it and really, you don't get much more from doing that. If you ever go to see Stonehenge, just park for free by the side of the road somewhere!

The druid spirits must have been angry with me that day because my camera, which was working perfectly fine before we got there and fine after we left, refused to take pictures of Stonehenge. All the shots were out of focus and bleached out with light no matter what setting I put it on. The best shot I got was this one:


Bizarre. After the druids chased us away, we drove to Bath. By the way, Chris was driving the whole time and I was the navigator in the front seat. Front left seat. It was the first time I've ridden in the front of a British car and let me tell you it's a weird feeling to be sitting there without a steering wheel. Chris did an excellent job driving, only one close call on a roundabout! :) Bath is a pretty, quaint town. I like how the English use the same stone in towns so all the buildings match. Here are a couple pictures of Bath:

The Royal Crescent:

Bridge over the river:

Bath is famous for, of course, baths. The Celts first discovered a hot spring there almost 3,000 years ago. The Romans took it over when they invaded and added to it. There are several rooms below street level and different springs. The waters still flow there! It's one of those amazing historical sites! The town was named after it! Yeah, we didn't go in. Actually, Chris did, but LK and I sat drinking coffee nearby. Sometimes that's just what you need to do!

After that we drove to Oxford. I loved Oxford! We were only there for a couple hours, just wandering around mostly and then wandered into a pub.

Part of the Oxford campus:



Okay, I have a few more pictures to load but my internet, in its usual form, is refusing to cooperate. I'll try to post them later. And - I have lots more entries coming! I promise!



2 comments:

  1. Love it! Please continue to do the blog posts. I love the history lesson. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, great post! I wish your camera had cooperated at Stonehenge. I'm sure you'll be back over the next two and a half years.

    ReplyDelete