Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Houndstooth

This is houndstooth:


Its origins are from the woven wool cloth of the Scottish Lowlands, so of course it is a very popular pattern here in the UK.  I see it all over London on umbrellas, scarves, coats, you name it.  I love this pattern, I have several pieces in it as well, but this has nothing to do with the UK.  It has to do with this man and the school he represents:  


This, friends, is Paul "Bear" Bryant.  Human man who lived from 1913 to 1983 and football god who coached the mighty Alabama Crimson Tide from 1958 to 1982.  In the 25 years he coached at Bama, he won 6 national championships and 13 SEC Championships, and he accomplished many of these things while wearing a natty houndstooth hat which he made famous.  Houndstooth is worn all over Tuscaloosa, Alabama, game day or not, to pay tribute to one of Alabama's greatest sons and our championship football team.  

Me with Merritt and Andrea at the Rose Bowl National Championship (which Bama won, Roll Tide):




There are a lot of things in my life that bring me great joy, my family of course being number one, but I gotta say that Alabama football is way up there.  Both of my parents were raised in Alabama and my mother was a cheerleader at Bama under Bear Bryant.  

(Mom is third from the right)


Typical Cynthia...


Now, I love this pattern for both sentimental and fashion reasons, so when I recently passed by the Salvatore Ferragamo store here in London, I did a double-take.  I want to buy every single piece!  I can wear them all over London and Tuscaloosa!  







If you really like me and are looking for a birthday/Christmas present (ahem, Stephen)... :)

Hey, just because Lady Gaga got there before I did doesn't mean I can't wear it, too.




5 comments:

  1. Megan, you always had excellent taste! RTR!,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Great post! Roll Tide!!!! - Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roll Tide! : Love the post! (and the clothes) -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Megan!! Roll Tide Roll! I was at Bama when Cynthia was a cheerleader and also her roommate during the summer. I hope you get those clothes....they are awesome!!........Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still very much so want the houndstooth dress! Keep an eye out for houndstooth baby clothes. Lil fab will be a fan from day one. :) RTR!

    ReplyDelete