Saturday, December 10, 2011

Lauren's Visit, Part III

Back to London again!  We went to Buckingham Palace to see the changing of the guard.  Even after living here for a while I'd never seen this, but now I know why.  It's not really a show stopper (plus, we couldn't really see with all the people so that probably had something to do with it).  


My view:


Lauren in front of Buckingham Palace - the fence and the angle doesn't really show it, but the "kiss" balcony is right there:



We walked to Westminster...


...and went to the Abbey.


Out front there were thousands of little crosses each bearing the name of a man or woman in the armed forces - November 11 is Remembrance Day in the UK and marks the official end of WWI in 1918 and serves as a memorial day.  


The crosses surrounded the Abbey and were really a moving tribute to all of those who have served in the armed forces...




After we left Westminster we went to St. Paul's Cathedral - out front is where the "Occupy xxx" protesters have set up camp:


This is where Charles and Diana got married, by the way.  She was twenty years old and surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of people and various heads of state when she had to walk down this huge aisle in her 25-foot train.  I think I would pee in my pants if I had to do that.   


The dome of the cathedral offers one of the best views of the city as long as you are willing to climb the 1,161 steps to the top!  Some of which is a tight squeeze.




Finally there!  Looking out from the top of the dome in the Golden Gallery:


The Millennium Bridge that crosses the Thames to the Tate Modern museum:


Looking down on the front of St. Paul's (protester camp on the right):


Of all of the wonderful places in London, of which there are many, the place that I love the most is the park right by our flat - Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park.  I have spent more time there than anywhere else, either taking Grady out or going on runs with Stephen, and I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to have such a big, beautiful park basically right out my front door.  It's been so fun to watch the changing of the seasons in such a wonderful place, it always puts me in a good mood going there and I am going to miss it like crazy when we move.  



The Serpentine in Hyde Park:



The Lido Cafe, where I had my very first Pimm's Cup in London last year:


Our final night we saw a performance of Hamlet at the Young Vic theatre starring Michael Sheen - who played David Frost in Frost/Nixon (and... Aro in Twilight... not that I would know anything about that).  I love the Young Vic theatre, it's not very big so every seat is a good seat and it makes you feel like you are right there with the actors.  

Pre-theatre dinner:


We had dinner with my dear friend, Julie Linn, who was in town on business, but I somehow managed not to get a picture with her!  It was Julie's birthday that night and a lot of fun to celebrate together.

Lauren's flight left the next morning so I got up early with her and walked her to Paddington Station.  I cried when I put her on the train to Heathrow, I just couldn't help it.  I miss my family so much and having her there was wonderful, I got too used to it!  It's amazing how having family with you instantly makes any place feel like home, and our little flat felt a little more like home those six days I had her.  

Thank you for coming to visit me, Lauren!  It meant a lot and I love you! 

2 comments:

  1. What a great trip! I can't believe how much we did! Can't wait to see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sisters are the best aren't they! I love having a best friend that is my sister too. Most likely they will know you longer than anyone else in our lives.

    ReplyDelete