Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Frozen Fashion II

The other day we got our first snow… it didn't really stick, but it happened.  And actually it's not even winter yet.  That afternoon it looked like this in Central Park:


Beautiful fall colors!  So fall is still around for a little while longer.  

My wardrobe has changed drastically since moving out of Texas, and I think my coat collection has tripled in size.  There is no longer just one coat for "it's kind of cold outside", I have coats for every drop in 10 degrees with variables for sun, rain, and snow.  Plus, if you spend so much time in a coat, you want a little variety since that is basically your outfit.  I remember a friend of mine from high school (who at the time lived in Chicago, he played for the Bears if you know who I'm talking about), telling me that very thing.  That variety in coats becomes more important since that is pretty much all you wear all the time October clear through 'til May.  I lived in sunny Dallas then so I didn't fully appreciate the need for many multiple coats, but I am living in that reality now, baby!

I have also discovered the fabulousness that are leg warmers.  Like, 1980s-style leg warmers.  Maybe they never went out of style in cold climates because anything that keeps you warm is a go?  Anyway, I don't think I have ever worn them in my life until now.  My friend Amy gave me a purple pair last winter to wear over my running shoes and pants to and from Barry's Bootcamp (which is AWESOME, my favorite workout).  Walking anywhere when it's 15F, even a short distance, wears you down and every little bit of warmth helps.  With leg warmers, the game is in the name.  They keep your legs warm!

My first pair, with my Sperry rain boots which I loved and wore out last winter:


I have since bought two more pairs to rotate around:



The boots I am wearing in that last picture are these from Sorel (the curry/herringbone color).  I also highly recommend these because they are warm, lightweight on your feet, and waterproof!  The laces are really just there for show, because they are a pull-on style.  I broke them in during our trip to Lake Placid and they worked wonders in cold temperatures.  

The temperatures here continue to waver and drop.  I haven't broken out the puffy coat yet because that thing is so warm it needs to be below 35F to wear it.  

New York is so different, summer compared to winter, that it is like living in another country.  And I'm about to get my passport stamped.  

No comments:

Post a Comment