Friday, February 3, 2012

Heart and Lone Star

I just finished watching all of Friday Night Lights.  I started it this summer, made my way through most of season 4, and then picked it back up again just recently.  I had a hiatus because 1) I went back to work and didn't have a daily FNL session anymore, and 2) it made me a bit too homesick.  I've been pretty good this year, I've missed my family and friends but have generally kept busy and have had such a fun time traveling around that it's kept me occupied.  But there's something about that show... I don't know, it's not even the Texas I knew.  Not most recently anyway, my life in Dallas was nothing like FNL.  My life growing up in Garland maybe resembled it a bit more.  But those glory shots of the Texas landscape in the opening of the show and the music!  It kills me every time.  I had to quit watching for a while.  

Also, there's something about Tami Taylor.  The Taylors in general.  I have seriously given myself pep talks this year in the voice of Coach Taylor.  How we could all do with a Coach Taylor in our corner!  Telling us what's what and giving straightforward encouragement.  But I have a soft spot for Tami Taylor.   And there's something about her that reminds me of my mom.  It's not specifically their personalities or the way they talk, it's in the way they parent.  The way they mother.  On more than one occasion I have watched Tami sit on her daughter Julie's bed, or on their living room couch, and talk to Julie in a way that I can almost reach out and touch.  Direct and loving.  Positive, but tough when needed.  I can't describe it exactly.  But this show makes me miss Texas and my mom.  

I will get to see both of them in 9 days!

2 comments: