Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Jewelry of Elizabeth Taylor, Part II

Yes, there's more fabulous jewelry!  

This necklace below is a showcase for the famous La Peregrina Pearl.  It is 203 grains in size - equivalent to 55 carats - and ranks as one of the most important and historic pearls in the world.   Discovered in the 1500's in the Gulf of Panama, the pearl became part of the crown jewels of Spain.  Prince Phillip II of Spain was one of the first recorded owners of the pearl and it later passed on to the Spanish queens Margarita and Isabel, who proudly wore the pearl in 17th century portraits painted by Velazquez.  Richard Burton purchased the pearl for Elizabeth at auction in 1969 for $37,000, after successfully outbidding a member of the Spanish royal family.  Inspired by a 16th century portrait of Mary Queen of Scots, she later commissioned Cartier to design an exquisite new mount of pearls and rubies to offset what she called "the most perfect pearl in the world".  


A story about the pearl from the coffee table book...

"At one point I reached down to touch La Peregrina and it wasn't there!  I glanced over at Richard and thank God he wasn't looking at me, and I went into the bedroom and threw myself on the bed, buried my head into the pillow and screamed.  Very slowly and carefully, I retraced all my steps in the bedroom.  I took my slippers off, took my socks off, and got down on my hands and knees, looking everywhere for the pearl.  Nothing.  I thought, "It's got to be in the living room in front of Richard.  What am I going to do.  He'll kill me!  Because he loved the piece.  

After a few minutes Elizabeth looked at their puppies.  One of them was apparently chewing on a bone, but nobody gave bones to the puppies.  

"I just casually opened the puppy's mouth and inside his mouth was the most perfect pearl in the world. It was - thank God - not scratched."  

La Peregrina (coming from the Spanish word "the wanderer")
Natural pearl, cultured pearl, ruby & diamond necklace
$2,000,000 - 3,000,000


Queen Margarita on Horseback, painted by Velazquez, wearing La Peregrina:


Queen Mary wearing La Peregrina:



Elizabeth Taylor's most valuable piece of jewelry was her engagement ring from Richard Burton; originally the Krupp Diamond it is now called the Elizabeth Taylor Diamond.  And let me tell you, there was a line of people just to see this one piece!  It is 33.19 carats, D color, and internally flawless.  Celebrated as the most iconic of her cherished white diamonds, this spectacular stone was a constant in Elizabeth's life and became the ring she wore virtually every day and in every film after acquiring it.  

The Elizabeth Taylor Diamond
33.19 rectangular-cut diamond ring
$2,500,000 - 3,500,000





During her marriage to producer Mike Todd, Elizabeth was swimming laps in the pool at their villa in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat when he surprised her with a trio of Cartier boxes containing a magnificent suite of ruby jewels.  Without a mirror at hand to see how her new jewels looked, she studied her reflection in the pool instead.  When she saw the full array of dazzling jewels around her neck, ears, and wrist, she recalled, "I just shrieked with joy, put my arms around Mike's neck, and pulled him into the pool after me." 

Ruby & diamond necklace, earrings, and bracelet
Cartier
necklace: $200,000 - 300,000
earrings: $80,000 - 120,000
bracelet: $150,000 - 200,000





Art Deco Egyptian revival bracelet
$500,000 - 700,000


Cultured pearl & diamond bracelet (there's also a matching necklace)
$60,000 - 80,000


Mike Todd gave this antique diamond tiara (circa 1880) to Elizabeth telling her, "You are my queen."  She wore it to the Academy Awards in 1957 where Todd's film Around the World in 80 Days won Best Picture.    

The Mike Todd Antique Diamond Tiara
$60,000 - 80,000




This diamond brooch, circa 1935, was formally owned by the Duchess of Windsor and is in the form of three feathers and the royal insignia of the Prince of Wales; it was originally a gift from the Duke to the Duchess.  As an acquaintance of the royal couple, Elizabeth Taylor had admired the brooch whenever she saw the Duchess wearing it, but turned down the Duchess' generous offer to let her make a copy of it.  Years later, after the Duchess died and her estate was brought to auction, Elizabeth outbid the other bidders to win the brooch in honor of her late friend.  "It's a royal piece that I save for special occasions because it means so much to me."  

The Windsor Brooch
$400,000 - 600,000



Honestly, these last jewels were my favorite over the Elizabeth Taylor Diamond.  These pictures don't do them justice, the color green was mesmerizing, I've never seen anything like it.  They were purchased over many trips to the Bulgari store in Rome and were keepsakes from the time they spent together making Cleopatra.  Of their time in Rome together, Richard Burton famously quipped, "I introduced Liz to beer, and she introduced me to Bulgari."  

Emerald & diamond earrings
Bulgari
$150,000 - 200,000




Emerald & diamond necklace
Bulgari
$ 1,000,000 - 1,500,000

Emerald & diamond pendant brooch (hanging from necklace in photo)
Bulgari
$500,000 - 700,000



Emerald & diamond ring (I didn't get a photo)
Bulgari 
$600,000 - 800,000

Emerald & diamond earrings
Kutchinsky
$30,000 - 50,000


Well, that's it!  Pretty incredible stuff, huh?  I'm sure I'll never get to see any of those pieces in person again, and I'm so glad I had the opportunity.




3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience to see such beauty. Excellent recounting of your viewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I "amazoned" the book yesterday since I am so intrigued after seeing the jewels at Christie's and it's $300! (and not much cheaper used!!) I think it will have to wait awhile before it can grace my coffee table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. $300?!?! I think it was originally $50, but I got it on sale for $9.99. Geez louise!

    ReplyDelete