Sunday, October 2, 2011

Return to Work


I started work again this past week.  I am SO glad to be back at work.  Sound crazy?  Well, there are things that I already knew about myself that were just reaffirmed during this long break.  1 - I don't do well with unending free time, it actually makes me uncomfortable.  It sounds like a luxury, and I know that it is... months off from working, living in London, no kids... and a lot of it has been great, really great.  

But, 2 - I do not like feeling unproductive.  I do not like feeling that I am in no way contributing something society, my life, etc.  I am definitely not the best version of myself without it.  

3 - It's hard for me to enjoy free time off that hasn't been "earned".  Weekends are much more fun after a week of working.  Vacations are sweeter when they are a break from work.  My first day off this week after returning to work felt better than every other free day I've had since January.  

4 - I like making my own money.  My husband has been very supportive of me during this time off, but I've been working on and off since I was 16 and completely full time from 22.  I am used to having a paycheck.  I supported myself from 22 on and even after I was married and joined my finances with someone else, I still was a major contributor.  There is something deeply satisfying about supporting my own life.  

5 - My previous job required me to use my brain, a lot, and I missed that!  I didn't want to lose that knowledge and just have everything go all mushy.  

Clearly this is only my opinion about myself, not anyone else, lots of people satisfy these or other needs in different ways, we all get to make our own life choices.  But I know what makes me happy and I'm glad to get a piece of it back.  And anyway, I'm only working on average 3 days a week, so it's not like I won't still have time off to enjoy life here in London while I have it.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect balance---3 work days, 4 play days. It's important to "use ir or lose it" and you have a lot to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to catch up! I want to hear all about this. And I'm with you - I'm bored. Walk Wag and Run kept me PLENTY busy. I'm subbing two days this week and I start a part time job in November. It'll be great!

    Lots of love to you from Dallas. Miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that poster picture! way to go Megan in your new job! I agree with Mom that 3 days sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete